Overview of Our School
Founded in 1986, Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School’s (CBOBS) mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the idea that people are capable of far more than they know. As the first urban Outward Bound school in the United States, CBOBS is committed to providing transformational experiences to a diverse group of youth and adults through one-day programs, virtual programs, and multi-day expeditions.
To meet this goal, CBOBS raises over 2 million dollars annually to increase the accessibility and reduce the cost of programming for schools and students in our community. CBOBS has locations in Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC.
For more information, please visit www.outwardboundchesapeake.org.
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the DC Sales Associate is the newest member of CBOBS’ three-person Sales team. The DC Sales Associate is responsible for building and maintaining new school partners and establishing our youth-based programming with public, charter, and private middle and high schools, as well as, youth serving organizations in the Washington, DC area. As Washington, DC is new territory for CBOBS, this position has a strong emphasis on new business development through outbound lead generation.
This role is responsible for developing and sustaining long-term relationships with mostly new partners to maximize participation in programs and enable CBOBS to have an impact on schools that is significant and sustainable. This position will be based out of our Washington, DC office, stewarding existing partnerships and finding new program opportunities within local schools and youth serving organizations.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to build strong, long-lasting relationships for the organization and grow the number of students and educators who can experience an Outward Bound program. Success in this position will be dependent on working collaboratively with multiple departments simultaneously.
We look forward to hearing from resourceful and energetic people who can help build the next generation of Outward Bound Alumni.
- Manage modest current portfolio of independent and public school partners and programs.
- Increase partner retention, support growth of school opportunities, and manage a pipeline of partners in the region to meet or exceed tuition revenue goals.
- Build Outward Bound brand recognition with schools and key recruitment partners.
- Create new relationships and opportunities for program delivery and student recruitment.
- Attend new partner and student recruitment events in the region.
- Create/adhere to a marketing and recruitment timeline in coordination with the Marketing and Development teams.
Partner Relationship Management
- Ensure that partners receive accurate course information in a timely manner, including enrollment materials, contracts, and course information.
- Collaborate with members of the Program team to ensure pre-course planning and character curriculum engagement is on track and act as single point of customer service accountability
- In collaboration with the Program team, coordinate parent and student pre-course briefings.
In collaboration with Sales team colleagues
- Recruit adult and youth participants for CBOBS’s fully-funded scholarship courses including, but not limited to; Youth Leadership Corps (YLC), Get Out and Lead (GOAL), Veterans courses, and Educators courses.
- Analyze recruitment and application data to understand trends and patterns to inform future recruitment strategies.
- Standardize and operationalize recruitment practices.
- 2 years of account management/sales experience with pipeline development and the drive to provide customers with excellent customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Relationship management and strategic partnership development ability.
- Solution oriented self-starter who thrives in a high-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with strong analytical skills.
- Proficiency and comfort in developing and delivering proposals to school administration audiences.
- Exceptional consulting and communication skills including an engaging presentation style and clear, precise writing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (in-person or virtual), including public speaking in small groups and one-on-one.
- Experience with youth market segments.
- CRM experience required; Salesforce preferred.
- Understanding of marketing and sales concepts such as value propositions, brand awareness drivers, and features vs. benefits.
- Willingness to travel within the region (DC, MD, and VA) and work occasional evenings and weekends. Applicants should expect a significant amount of time out of the office meeting with and establishing relationships and programming with new clients.
- Clean driving record.
- Ability to work with a diverse team and independently.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation: The hiring range for this position is $55,000-$75,000. Pay will be commensurate with experience. Potential for sales incentives, organization budget allowing.
- Employer contribution of 75% for Medical, Dental, & Vision insurance through CareFirst BlueChoice for the employee and their children, if applicable
- Fifteen (15) days of Paid Time Off (PTO) which accrue per pay period
- Ten (10) paid holidays
- 401(k) with a match. Employees are eligible for participation after 1 year of employment. Current match is 6% of the employee’s salary
- Long-term disability, short-term disability, AD&D insurance, as well as, a $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to the employee
- Pre-tax Saving Cafeteria Plan: Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Pre-tax Commuter/Transit Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Pro Deals: Discounts from outdoor industry vendors for outdoor professionals
Please send a cover letter and resume to Natalie Haney firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at https://outwardboundchesapeake.org/job-application/.
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against any student or applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other category which may be protected by applicable state or federal law. Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.