Founded in 1986, Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School’s (CBOBS) mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. Outward Bound is an international educational movement, founded by Kurt Hahn, dedicated to the idea that people are capable of far more than they know.
For more information about the programs that this position will focus on, please visit www.outwardboundchesapeake.org/programs/schools-groups/. More information about CBOBS can be found at https://outwardboundchesapeake.org/about/.
The Marketing & Communications Manager reports to the Marketing & Outreach Director and works closely with the Development (fundraising), Sales, and Admission teams. Student stories are the heart of our marketing efforts and this role will focus on ways to capture and share the student experience with our community of donors, future students, parents, and alumni. This consists of three main bodies of work—Content Marketing, Communications, and Engagement.
Candidates should have an intrapreneurial drive and thrive in a highly autonomous and fast paced work culture. If you have strong interpersonal skills and a passion for telling stories, you will thrive as a team member.
This is a full-time position, with flexible office hours from Monday through Friday. In some cases, nights and weekend hours are required.
- Strategize, coordinate, and develop content marketing to position CBOBS as an expert in its field, to foster lead generation and overall brand equity.
- Work with Outward Bound staff and students to create content according to an annual communications calendar.
- Be the online voice for CBOBS by creating real-time and consistent content and engagement for social media channels and WordPress based blog.
- Manage program photography process alongside Program staff to ensure quality photos and video are captured and shared for programs.
- Manage specific based projects completed by freelancers, or staff as needed.
- Manage automated and campaign-based email communications.
- Track and incorporate marketing trends and strategic planning to build automated communications that support marketing through all stages of the funnel.
- Maintain email list health to include segments and tags to build deliverability and engagement.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with all teams to deliver all planned and ad hoc emails, newsletters, and direct mail communications.
Engagement & Outreach
- Steward alumni through all stages of engagement with CBOBS.
- Lead CBOBS in all National / International alumni projects and collaborations.
- Coordinate & promote events to engage donors, alumni, and community members around brand & related topics of interest.
- Capture student and stakeholder testimonial to coordinate use with sales, development, admissions, and staffing.
- Oversee School Store & promotional items, including inventory management, staff training, and process efficiencies.
- Deliver training to CBOBS program staff in accordance with marketing process and strategy.
- Maintain marketing-related data in Salesforce CRM as a CBOBS Salesforce Admin.
At least 3 years of direct experience and knowledge in the following —
- Writing, designing, and sending email communications to targeted lists of contacts using an email marketing system.
- Creating various types of digital content for online channels.
- Social media marketing and management.
- Working within the guidelines of established brand identity and voice.
Experience in these areas a plus, but not required —
- Managing data with CRM software and/or systems (e.g. Salesforce or equivalent).
- Publishing written and visual web content (e.g. WordPress or equivalent).
- Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, or equivalent graphic design skills.
- Photography or videography skills.
- Identifying and measuring KPIs to monitor campaign and automation health.
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring Range: $52,000 – 65,000
- Employer contribution of 75% for Medical, Dental, & Vision insurance through CareFirst BlueChoice for the employee and their children, if applicable.
- Fifteen (15) days of Paid Time Off (PTO) which accrue per pay period.
- Up to Eight (8) weeks of paid Family/Medical leave
- Thirteen (13) paid holidays.
- 401(k) with a match. Employees are eligible for participation after 6 months of employment. The current match is 6% of the employee’s salary.
- Long-term disability, short-term disability, AD&D insurance, and a $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to the employee.
- Pre-tax Saving Cafeteria Plan: Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Pre-tax Commuter/Transit Benefits.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Insurance.
- Pro Deals: Discounts from outdoor industry vendors for outdoor professionals.
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against any student or applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other category which may be protected by applicable state or federal law. Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
Outward Bound has a zero-tolerance policy for incidents of child abuse and neglect and will report any suspected abuse or neglect.