Reflection on student assets and the web of strength they create
This activity, as written, asks students to reflect on the individual strengths that create a strong team. It is a visual/physical representation of how each person contributes to the greater whole.
Long rope, yarn, or string
1. Gather students to stand in a circle. One student starts by holding a roll of rope/yarn.
2. Ask students to share a personal strength that they recognize in themselves. This could be something that they saw in themselves on expedition.
3. Once a student has shared, he/she should pass the ball of rope or yarn to another student across from them. That student continues to hold his/her end of the string.
4. As students pass the yarn/rope across the circle a web will form between the group members.
5. Once every student has shared, spend some time reflecting on the metaphor of the “web”, that our individual strengths make a fortified unit as the group moves forward.
6. Invite one student to pull harder on their portion of the web, and one students to loosen their grip a bit. Notice how that effects the entire group. Ask students to make connections on this idea to their experience on the expedition or in the classroom.
7. Choose to “rewind” the web and have students share something they observed/appreciate about the student that they are “connected” to in the web
This activity can be adapted to focus on various themes other than individual student strengths such as:
- appreciating others
- personal commitments
- ways students will support each other