Position: Staffing and Scheduling Coordinator
Reports to: Operations Manager
The Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School (CBOBS) is a non-profit adventure-based educational organization with programs that deliver character development and self-discovery in the wilderness, in the city, and in school. CBOBS operates programs in Baltimore City, the Appalachian Trail in MD and PA, the Potomac River, the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area in WV, and the Eastern Shore of The Chesapeake Bay.
For more information, please visit www.outwardboundchesapeake.org.
Job Overview & Objectives
This position reports to the Operations Manager and works closely with the Associate Program Directors, and counterparts from schools across the OBUSA network.
The Staffing and Scheduling Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and staffing all front-line program field staff at CBOBS. They will recruit, hire, and onboard new per diem program field staff and rehire returning per diem and seasonal salaried program field staff; support the Associate Program Directors in tracking field staff performance, assessment, development, advancement, and recognition; create and oversee staffing schedules for field staff roles; and maintain records for required employee certifications, clearances, and evaluations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Program Hiring and Staffing Management
- Recruit a wide and diverse candidate pool through job postings, local school, partner, and community organization relationships, and recruitment fairs.
- Manage the application process to recruit, interview, hire, and onboard new seasonal program staff and annually rehire seasonal program staff. Collaborate with the Operations Manager and Program and Safety Director to assess annual program hiring needs and provide regular updates on recruitment and hiring status.
- Collaborate with Program and Safety Director and/or HR consultant to create, maintain, and circulate job descriptions and postings for field staff positions.
- Enter new hires in Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and generate letters of hire, work agreements, and schedules.
- Schedule per diem and seasonal salaried field staff on appropriate programs to ensure highest program quality and to meet staff training and development goals.
- In collaboration with the Operations Manager, oversee department calendar ensuring program capacities, courses, and field staff schedules meet departmental needs and sales goals.
- Manage field staff timekeeping, leave requests, and payroll reporting.
- Review and prepare all timesheet records for seasonal per diem program staff to meet semi-monthly payroll deadlines.
- Track staff pay rate progression and provide updates for payroll records to Director of Finance and Administration.
- Update and maintain staff’s schedules using scheduling software.
- Work with Program Team members to coordinate and schedule staff development, training, and certification opportunities that support team and individual development goals such as check-ins, performance reviews, and coaching sessions.
- Compile and distribute program department communications, including updates, training schedules, and announcements as directed by the Operations Manager.
- In collaboration with HR, manage field staff personnel files confirming all staff personnel information, training, background checks, and certifications are up to date.
- Comply with all local and national Outward Bound staffing standards.
- Update online resources for seasonal program staff.
- With HR consultant and Director of Finance and Administration, ensure compliance with all regulatory and best practices for field staff management.
- Represent CBOBS at OBUSA National Staffing Team monthly meetings; learn about and share system-wide best practices.
Safety and Risk Management
- Participate in Critical Incident response and in safety training and incident reporting.
- Ensure adherence to all local operating procedures, safety policies and emergency procedures outlined in the staff handbook and field staff manual.
- Report safety concerns to Program and Safety Director.
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Competencies
Knowledge and Skills
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills, including writing, editing, and formatting documents.
- Excellent team player with demonstrated successful working relationships with staff at all levels of an organization.
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines within a team and individually.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically excel, with interest and aptitude to learn new software and systems.
- Strong personal motivation, initiative, follow through, flexibility and commitment.
- Knowledge of Outward Bound history, mission, pedagogy, and philosophy preferred.
- Must have all vaccines recommended by the CDC, including a COVID 19 vaccine.
- Must successfully pass a State of Maryland and an FBI Criminal Background Check and a driving record check.
- Ability to sit at a desk or computer 90% of the time or greater.
Education & Work Experience
- 2 to 3 years’ experience in recruiting and staffing required, experience in education, outdoor education/experiential learning, or similar field preferred.
This is a 12-month, full-time position. Applicants should expect occasional evening and weekend hours. Applicant must have a clean driving record.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary Range: $40,000-$52,000; commensurate with experience.
- Employer contribution of 75% for Medical, Dental, & Vision insurance through CareFirst BlueChoice for the employee and their children, if applicable.
- Fifteen days of Paid Time Off (PTO) which accrue per pay period.
- Up to Eight (8) weeks of paid Family/Medical leave
- Eleven paid holidays.
- 401(k) with a match. Employees are eligible for participation after 1 year of employment. The current match is 6% of the employee’s salary.
- Long-term disability, short-term disability, AD&D insurance, as well as a $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to the employee.
- Pre-tax Saving Cafeteria Plan: Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Pre-tax Commuter/Transit Benefits.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Insurance.
- Pro Deals: Discounts from outdoor industry vendors for outdoor professionals.
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against any student or applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other category which may be protected by applicable state or federal law. Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
Outward Bound has a zero-tolerance policy for incidents of child abuse and neglect and will report any suspected abuse or neglect.