Overview of Our School
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School (CBOBS) is part of an international network of Outward Bound schools in over 30 countries, with 10 chartered schools in the United States. Our experiential curriculum focuses on teaching social emotional skills to predominantly middle and high school youth through challenging outdoor experiences ranging from one-day to multi-weeks in length. CBOBS serves people of all ages and from all backgrounds, but our priority is serving students from the greater Baltimore and Washington DC regions.
Founded by local community leaders in Baltimore in 1986, CBOBS’ mission is to Change Lives through Challenge and Discovery, and we do that every time a young person embarks on one of our programs. And through our Police Youth Challenge program, we pair middle school students with police officers for one-day Insight programs that foster trust and improve communications.
For more information, please visit www.outwardboundchesapeake.org.
The Development Coordinator reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and maintains a high level of administrative support for Development programs and the Development Team. This position is responsible for administrative duties including but not limited to: processing and acknowledging gifts and pledges, regular reporting on gift activities, providing support for events in Baltimore and Washington, DC, updating information in the donor database and collecting post-course materials for donor-reporting purposes. This position is based in Baltimore and the Development Coordinator is expected to work in-person at the office.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years of administrative experience to a fundraising or advancement office. Nonprofit experience preferred. They will be a self-starter, great communicator, detail-oriented, extremely organized, possess a strong work ethic, and have a proven track record of meeting goals and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances in a highly collaborative environment. They will enjoy working with a small and engaging team. The most successful team members are those who bring a proactive, creative, entrepreneurial, and high energy approach, and want to challenge themselves and grow.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Process gifts, pledges, matching gifts, tribute gifts, stock transactions and other contributions to ensure acknowledgement within 48 hours of receipt.
- Ensure accurate data entry and assist with maintenance in Salesforce.
- Compile reports as requested for prospect review and relationship management and provide Chief Advancement Officer and Development Team with regular updates on upcoming opportunities and grant deadlines.
- Provide administrative support for Development campaigns.
- Coordinate information gathering and lend administrative support for the annual donor report,
quarterly eNewsletter, stewardship campaigns and year-end campaign.
- Assist Finance & Administration Director with development records during annual audit process.
- Assist Outward Bound USA with development records for its annual directory and repository.
- Assist the Development Team in researching, producing and submitting materials.
- Support Chief Advancement Officer and Development Committee in the planning and execution
of the Annual Cornerstone Gala; and events in Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Qualifications and Competencies
At least 3 years of experience and proven knowledge in the following:
- Administrative support to a fundraising or advancement office
- Charitable gift entry
- Compiling, submitting, and reporting on grants, including familiarity with common attachments
- Creating and generating reports from a CRM database, preferably Salesforce
- Entry and record management in a CRM database, preferably Salesforce
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Proficient with Windows operating systems, wireless networks, selecting and installing software and drivers, data entry, Salesforce, mobile device setup and advanced functions of MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook and Teams.
- Basic support to events large and small, managing invitation/RSVP lists, on-site prep and set-up, and customer service/follow-up.
- Strong personal motivation, initiative, follow through, flexibility and commitment.
- Ability to work independently and conduct self-directed research.
- Willing and eager to solve problems creatively.
- Perform with grace when under pressure, meet deadlines, and juggle competing priorities.
- Strong communications (written/oral) skills with the ability to prioritize and maintain focus on
- Demonstrate successful working relationships with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Uphold values consistent with the CBOBS mission.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be requested based on development events.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation: The hiring range for this position is $40,000-$51,600. Pay will be commensurate with experience.
- Employer contribution of 75% for Medical, Dental, & Vision insurance through CareFirst BlueChoice for the employee and their children, if applicable
- Fifteen (15) days of Paid Time Off (PTO) which accrue per pay period
- Eight (8) weeks of paid Family/Medical leave
- Eleven (11) paid holidays
- 401(k) with a match. Employees are eligible for participation after six (6) months of employment. Current match is 6% of the employee’s salary
- Long-term disability, short-term disability, AD&D insurance, as well as, a $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to the employee
- Pre-tax Saving Cafeteria Plan: Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Pre-tax Commuter/Transit Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Pro Deals: Discounts from outdoor industry vendors for outdoor professionals
Please send a cover letter and resume addressed to Phyllis Kim, Chief Advancement Officer to email@example.com. Resume review will begin immediately and be ongoing.
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against any student or applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other category which may be protected by applicable state or federal law. Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.