Overview of Our School
Founded in 1986, Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School’s (CBOBS) mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery. Outward Bound is an international educational movement dedicated to the idea that people are capable of far more than they know. As the first urban Outward Bound school in the United States, CBOBS is committed to providing transformational experiences to a diverse group of youth and adults through one-day programs, virtual programs, and multi-day expeditions.
To meet this goal, CBOBS raises over 2 million dollars annually to increase the accessibility and reduce the cost of programming for schools and students in our community. CBOBS has locations in Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC.
For more information, please visit www.outwardboundchesapeake.org.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Development Coordinator maintains a high level of support across the development program. This position is responsible for maintenance of the donor database, processing and acknowledging gifts and pledges, regular reporting, prospect research, and grant process management.
- Manage the processing of gifts, pledges, matching gifts, tribute gifts, stock transactions and other contributions to ensure acknowledgement within 24 hours of receipt.
- Ensure accurate data entry and assist with maintenance and new systems implementation in Salesforce.
- Compile reports as requested for prospect review and relationship management and provide Chief Advancement Officer with regular updates on upcoming opportunities and grant deadlines.
- Work with Marketing & Communications Manager to create distribution lists for communications.
- Coordinate information gathering for the annual donor report and year-end statistical analysis.
- Assist Finance & Administration Director with development records during annual audit process.
- Supporting the Chief Advancement Officer and Corporate & Foundation Relations Officer, manage grant reporting and proposal schedules to ensure timely submissions.
- Assist the development team in researching, producing and submitting materials.
- Support Chief Advancement Officer and Development Committee in the planning and execution of the Annual Cornerstone Awards event; and other stewardship/fundraising events as they arise.
- Support Development Committee meetings by helping with communications, set-up, and notetaking.
At least 2 years of experience and proven knowledge in the following:
- Administrative support to a fundraising or advancement office
- Charitable gift entry
- Compiling, submitting, and reporting on foundation and government agency grants, including familiarity with common attachments
- Creating and manipulating queries and reports from a CRM database, preferably Salesforce
- Management of email and print communications
- Data comparison and reconciliation using Excel
At least 5 years of experience and proven knowledge in the following:
- Nonprofit administrative support
- Regular communication with volunteer boards or committees
- Entry and record management in a CRM database, preferably Salesforce
- Producing polished, public-ready communications
- Basic support to major events, such as volunteer/sponsor tracking, planning timeline management, on-site prep
- Invoicing and/or basic bookkeeping
- Ability to work independently and conduct self-directed research.
- Willing and eager to solve problems creatively.
- Perform with grace when under pressure, meet deadlines, and juggle competing priorities.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and maintain focus on primary goals.
- Uphold values consistent with the CBOBS mission.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be requested based on development events.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation: The hiring range for this position is $35,000-$45,000. Pay will be commensurate with experience.
- Employer contribution of 75% for Medical, Dental, & Vision insurance through CareFirst BlueChoice for the employee and their children, if applicable
- Fifteen (15) days of Paid Time Off (PTO) which accrue per pay period
- Ten (10) paid holidays
- 401(k) with a match. Employees are eligible for participation after 1 year of employment. Current match is 6% of the employee’s salary
- Long-term disability, short-term disability, AD&D insurance, as well as, a $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to the employee
- Pre-tax Saving Cafeteria Plan: Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Pre-tax Commuter/Transit Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Pro Deals: Discounts from outdoor industry vendors for outdoor professionals
Please send a cover letter and resume addressed to Phyllis Kim, Chief Advancement Officer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume review will begin immediately and be ongoing.
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against any student or applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other category which may be protected by applicable state or federal law. Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.