OUR COURSES: RESILIENT AND READY
Updated November 2022 - Additional updates to come as the CDC, national, state and county guidelines evolve.
We are so excited to welcome students on our 2023 expeditions. Our courses may look slightly different this year, as we follow our enhanced health and safety standards. Please keep reading to see what these standards look like on course and what you can expect as you embark on your journey with Outward Bound.
CBOBS is following all applicable federal and state law and CDC guidance regarding COVID-19. Due to the changing nature of the pandemic, information on this page is subject to change and will be updated, as necessary.
Let's Get Started. The moment you decide to go Outward Bound you’re tasked with responsibilities that impact not only yourself, but also your crew. This includes taking the necessary precautions to mitigate risks, including those associated with COVID-19. Below are enhanced health and safety practices we ask of every student prior to arrival and while on course.
Reach out to your Course Advisor if you have additional questions.
COURSE PROTOCOLS SUMMARY [DETAILED FAQ BELOW]
All students are encouraged to have a negative COVID-19 test prior to course start. If a student tests positive on arrival the student will need to leave the course permanently. Please note that tuition refunds are provided in the case of a positive test IF and only IF tuition insurance has been purchased.
For the 14-days prior to your course start date, please do the following:
- Practice proper social distancing
- Wash and sanitize your hands frequently
- We encourage you to wear a mask when practical
- Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms
Testing is one layer of the safety system which ensures that students arrive at their course healthy. Open Enrollment participants, travelling from out of state, are encouraged but not required to test prior to course start with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 test. You can take either a PCR test 72 hours prior to the first day of course, or a rapid test 24 hours prior to the first day of course.
Upon arrival, all courses 5-days or longer will follow a 2-test regimen.
- Test 1 – On the first day, after arriving at base or the airport, all students and staff will complete an OTC Antigen Rapid Test, which has results in 15 min.
- Test 2 – the second OTC Antigen Rapid Test is performed in the field on day 5 or after returning to base.
If the course is longer than 5 days – students can discontinue masks/physical distancing after everyone is confirmed as Covid negative.
All participants are encouraged to be up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations and/or obtain an FDA-authorized COVID-19 viral test prior to the first day of course.
Participants on Open Enrollment courses may use all travel options to course start and for return travel. If Outward Bound changes the transportation policy for the course that you are enrolled on, and you are unable to attend course as a result, you are eligible for a full tuition refund minus the $150 non-refundable application fee.
For the welfare of all the students and staff, please do not arrive to course start if you are feeling unwell, running a fever, or experiences any symptoms of communicable diseases including COVID-19 Symptoms. All Students will be screened upon arrival and will complete a rapid antigen test on site. If any signs or symptoms of illness exist, or the test results are positive, students will not be allowed to start the course.
Our team is committed to safety on each and every crew that goes into the field. In order to maintain our high standard of COVID-19 compliance, we will be doing the following, while also ensuring that our students have the Outward Bound experience they deserve.
- Participants will wear approved personal protective equipment when requested to do so.
- Enhanced personal hygiene will be practiced on every course.
- Increased cleaning and sanitization.
See additional details in the FAQ below.
Our staff has worked rigorously to develop field safety practices that keep everyone (including themselves safe while on course). Any CBOBS Staff member who works with students will be fully vaccinated**
** All program staff at CBOBSare vaccinated with at least one COVID-19 booster.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
- Handwashing and hand sanitizing
- Sanitary food preparation and dish sanitizing
- Covering sneezes and coughs
- Not sharing personal utensils or personal care products
- Masking and/or distancing when necessary
- From baggage claim, proceed upstairs to the departures level.
- Leave the terminal through Door #1 (labeled) across from the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter
- Cross the crosswalk and turn left towards the Southwest Drop-off area. (This is the first drop-of area that incoming vehicles encounter.) Outward Bound staff will meet you here at 10:30 AM.
WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.
Our instructors have tested all of our safety measures in the field on themselves in real-world scenarios in the very course areas your program will take place. We've made sure that all of our student expectations are functional, manageable and do not detract from the quality of your Outward Bound course. Here is what it looks like to take a course with our crew during COVID-19.