2021 COURSES: RESILIENT AND READY
Updated January 2020 - Additional updates to come as the CDC, national, state and county guidelines evolve.
Welcome to a Year Like No Other. We are so excited to welcome students on our 2021 expeditions. Our courses may look slightly different this year, as we follow our enhanced health and safety standards. Please keep reading to see what these standards look like on course and what you can expect as you embark on your journey with Outward Bound.
CBOBS is following all applicable federal and state law and CDC guidance regarding COVID-19. Due to the changing nature of the pandemic, information on this page is subject to change and will be updated, as necessary.
Let's Get Started. The moment you decide to go Outward Bound you’re tasked with responsibilities that impact not only yourself, but also your crew. This includes taking the necessary precautions to mitigate risks, including those associated with COVID-19. Below are enhanced health and safety practices we ask of every student prior to arrival and while on course.
Reach out to your Course Advisor if you have additional questions.
COURSE PROTOCOLS SUMMARY [DETAILED FAQ BELOW]
All students are required to have a negative COVID-19 test prior to course start*.
For the 14-days prior to your course start date, please do the following:
- Practice proper social distancing – maintain 6ft of space between yourself and others
- Wash and sanitize your hands frequently
- Avoid crowded places and contact with people who are sick
- Wear a mask in public spaces
- Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms
*COVID-19 Testing Requirements
Testing is one layer of the safety system which ensures that students arrive at their course healthy. All unvaccinated students must both obtain a FDA-authorized COVID-19 viral test and submit their negative test result no earlier than 72 hours prior to the first day of course. While we strongly encourage the PCR test because of its greater accuracy, a student may obtain what is called an “anti-gen test” or “rapid test.” If a student elects to obtain a rapid test, they must also both obtain the rapid test and submit their negative test result no earlier than 24 hours prior to the first day of course.
Fully vaccinated students must submit proof of vaccination prior to beginning an expedition. People are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their final dose of a vaccine.
For 5-day peer leadership expeditions will school partners, CBOBS will maintain this policy or default to the school’s request if the school policy is more stringent.
- Test results must be submitted to Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School (CBOBS) prior to course start.
- To find testing resources in your area, please visit your state Health Department website or use this COVID-19 Testing Sites Locator.
- If you test positive, we cannot accept you onto course.
Fully vaccinated students may forgo pre-course testing but must submit proof of vaccination prior to beginning an expedition. People are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their final dose of a vaccine.
Statement of Understanding
Participants (and parents of minor students) will sign a COVID-19 Statement of Understanding. Your Admissions Contact will reach out to you with that form prior to course.
Participants on Open Enrollment courses may use all travel options to course start and return travel. If Outward Bound changes the transportation policy for the course that you are enrolled on, and you are unable to attend course as a result, you are eligible for a full tuition refund minus the $150 non-refundable application fee.
Participants must arrive at the course start neither experiencing nor presenting any signs or symptoms of COVID-19. Participants will be screened upon arrival, including taking temperature. If any signs or symptoms of illness exist, participants will not be allowed to start the course.
Our team is committed to safety on each and every crew that goes into the field. In order to maintain our high standard of COVID-19 compliance we will be doing the following, while also ensuring that our students have the Outward Bound experience they deserve.
- Participants will wear approved personal protective equipment when requested to do so.
- Enhanced personal hygiene will be practiced on every course.
- Increased cleaning and sanitization.
- Crew sizes have been reduced to support social distancing.
- Students will sleep under tarps or in tents. In either case, students will be appropriately distanced when sleeping to prevent the possible spread of illness.
See additional details in the FAQ below.
Our staff has worked rigorously to develop field safety practices that keep everyone (including themselves safe while on course). Any CBOBS Staff member who works with students will need to be tested for COVID-19 at least once every 14 days. Additionally, instructors, prior to beginning an expedition, are tested within 72 hours prior to course start.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
- Test 1 – On the first day, after arriving to base or the airport, all student and staff will complete a BinaxNow (OTC Antigen Rapid Test) which has results in 15 min.
- Test 2 – the second BinaxNow test is performed in the field on day 5, allowing crew members to discontinue masks/social distancing after everyone is confirmed as covid negative.
- For shorter courses, all student and staff are required to wear masks for the duration of the course.
- Hand washing and hand sanitizing
- Sanitizing gear
- Sanitary food preparation and dish sanitizing
- Not touching one’s face with unwashed hands
- Covering sneezes and coughs in the crook of an arm or, if available, a disposable tissue
- Not sharing personal utensils or personal care products
- 14 days of strict social distancing guidelines, as described by the CDC, prior to the course
- Get a COVID-19 test and submitting a negative result within 3 days prior to the first day of course
- Follow travel exposure precautions as described by the CDC
- From baggage claim, proceed upstairs to the departures level.
- Leave the terminal through Door #1 (labeled) across from the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter
- Cross the crosswalk and turn left towards the Southwest Drop-of area. (This is the first drop-of area that incoming vehicles encounter.) Outward Bound staff will meet you here at 10:30 AM.
WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.
Our instructors have tested all of our safety measures in the field on themselves in real-world scenarios in the very course areas your program will take place. We've made sure that all of our student expectations are functional, manageable and do not detract from the quality of your Outward Bound course. Here is what it looks like to take a course with our crew during COVID-19.