Educator professional development team-building program with a focus on the Experiential Education cycle and Character/Social Emotional skill building.
School-based teams will be able to:
- Engage in the experiential learning cycle together, with a focus on facilitating Social-Emotional Learning skill building in the classroom.
- Discover new facets of their own, their colleagues’, and their team’s strengths and challenges.
- Observe and discuss developing facilitation skills.
Components of the Program:
- Social-Emotional Learning skills
- Character Education
- Facilitation vs. Instruction modes
- Learning through failure
- Experiential Learning cycle
- Learning when you are outside of your familiar zones
- Connect learning to school culture and classroom practices
- Time - 9:00 – 3:00
- Location – Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound Base, Leakin Park
- Lunch – brown bag, purchase option upon request
- Attire – Active attire and close toed shoes
- Rain or Shine!
- Pre-program reading – We will supply either our white paper or an article highlighting experiential education, teaching character, social emotional learning
Experiential Learning and Character Curriculum In the Classroom Address several key learning objectives, many of which dovetail with Common Core Requirements.
“Prepare and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.”SL1 CCR
“Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and communicative tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.” SL6 CCR
“Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening.”L3 CCR
“Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.” L5 CCR