The Bay Equity & INclusion Group
“The mission of BEING is to identify and dismantle systems of oppression within our organization. By turning a critical eye on our own practices of equity, inclusion, and diversity, BEING aims to foster a culturally relevant organization that engages students and staff of all identities in the Baltimore & Washington D.C. areas.”
BEING was created in April, 2019 as a space to look inward at our organization through the lens of equity and inclusion. While we’ve made progress in these areas, we know it’s an ongoing process that must remain a priority. The original idea was to take the conversations around equity, inclusion, and diversity beyond the training realm and shift it towards an action-oriented approach that is on-going an inward-focused.
The goal of BEING is to bring people together across departments to recognize influence and implicit biases to identify ways to better represent the voices of those not heard. With this, we can better care for our diverse students, staff, and communities.
BEING is not static, as a group it will to continue to grow and evolve with our organization. We’re looking forward to that evolution, and the work it produces. A few current projects we’re working on include CBOBS affinity groups, as well as more involvement in the communities we serve.
Recent BEING Projects
- Affinity groups for staff: Starting in July, 2020 a long-time BEING vision came into reality. Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School began hosting our first affinity groups which currently include a Staff of Color group, and a Anti-Racist Ally group.
- With this year's addition of our People and Culture Coordinator, we were able to add a stronger focus on equitable hiring and retention goals.
- BEING is updating our CBOBS Strategic Plan with a more dedicated focus around equity, inclusion, and diversity. This has also been an opportunity to reassess our BEING mission, vision, and values.
- Our 2020 racial justice action steps are up on our blog. We will be following up at the end of the year with a progress report on these steps.
Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity Resources
Some organizations, resources, and events that we have been focusing on, excited about, and learning from:
- A Guide to Cultural Relevancy by Youth Outside
- Examining Equitable & Inclusive Work Environments in Environmental Education
- No Boundaries Coalition
- Baltimore Racial Justice Action (BRJA)
Our Organizing Team
If you want to learn more about BEING, be added to our monthly newsletter, be updated about events, offer comments, concerns, or questions, we would love to hear from you.