OUTWARD BREAK DAY TWO
YOUR GOAL: Practice your campcraft and learn a simple way to build a shelter outside.
Watch the video above on building an A-frame shelter. Then try it for yourself, with the tips below:
- Find a rope and sheet or tarp.
- Utilize the ‘bowline knot’ and a ‘adjustable grip hitch’ to fix the rope between two sturdy and unmovable objects.
- HINT: this knot list might help:
- Throw your tarp or sheet over the top, and fix the edges out to make the A-frame.
- Try this outside between trees, or even inside to make the coolest living room fort!
While this is the most ‘technical challenge’ for students, there’s no right or wrong way to do it. And, overcoming challenges is a great way to build character. To encourage your OB Explorer’s creativity and follow-through, share a time when you had to get crafty to solve a problem, and what you learned from the experience!
What was the most challenging part about setting up camp?